Staffs Young People under attack
YASC (Youth Against Service Cuts) is a new group fighting Staffordshire County Council plans to massively reduce the youth service in Staffordshire. The group includes young people, young councillors, community activists, teachers and parents. Devastating proposals by the County Council could see all 38 youth centres shut down and many youth workers made redundant. We demand this attack on young people in Staffordshire is halted now! Did you know Staffordshire County Council have agreed a budget in principle that will affect the youth service before the youth service consultation is finished? Is this fairness and transparency?
YASC is holding a gathering in Stafford Town Centre (Main Square) on Saturday 15th February, 2pm. This will be an opportunity for members of the public to sign petitions and young people to tell their stories. Everyone is invited to join us to save our youth services. We are also calling on all District/Town/Parish councils to support us in our fight against the County Council.
Our argument is as follows:
- Youth workers are important to young people because they can approach them on issues surrounding sexual health, alcohol/substance misuse and domestic violence.
- This decision will have a damaging impact on careers advice.
- Youth unemployment opportunities and the draconian approach to cutting as we come to summer, where will young people go?
- The move to close youth clubs/centres will increase antisocial behaviour and gang culture.
- The opportunity and accessibility of voluntary and private provision, especially in rural areas, and we will draw specific attention to: rise in teen pregnancies, prevalence of domestic violence within teen relationships and the increase of self-harm.
- Not all young people want to join Scout groups or Police Cadets.
Please sign the petition to save our youth centres: http://moderngov.staffordshire.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?id=93
Posted on February 6, 2014, in Butt Lane, Kidsgrove, News and tagged Butt Lane, Butt Lane Blog, Butt Lane Community Blog, Butt Lane Councillor Kyle Robinson, Butt Lane Kyle Robinson, Butt Lane News, Cllr Kyle Robinson, cllrkylerobinson, community, Community Blog, Councillor for Butt Lane, County Council, Kidsgrove, Kidsgrove Bloggers, Kidsgrove Community Blog, kidsgrove kyle robinson, Kidsgrove News, Kidsgrove Town Council, Kyle Robinson, kyle robinson kidsgrove, kyle robinson newcastle, labour councillors, Staffordshire, Staffordshire County Council, Staffordshire County Council Cuts, Staffordshire County Council Kidsgrove, Staffordshire Police, Staffordshire Youth Against Cuts, Talke, www.cllrkylerobinson.com, YASC, Youth Against Service Cuts. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.