Local Labour councillors hail success after securing £45,000 to upgrade public footpath 216 in Butt Lane. The footpath is accessed from West Avenue and runs behind the houses of Church Street, finally exiting onto Congleton Road adjacent to St. Saviours Primary School. The improvement works will be funded by a Public Right of Way contribution from Taylor Wimpey. Taylor Wimpey’s contribution was secured through a section 106 agreement with Newcastle Borough Council.
It is understood that the works will be completed by contractors appointed by Staffordshire County Council and not housing developer, Taylor Wimpey. The contractor will begin work on the surfacing of the footpath on Monday 16th January. The path will be temporarily closed for the duration of the works. Residents are politely asked to use other routes until the works are completed.
Councillor Kyle Robinson said: “I welcome the news that this footpath will finally be brought up to a decent standard. Back in 2013, Sylvia and I raised the alarm about the state the public footpath had been left in following the development of Bluebell Croft. The footpath in question has been used for many years by local residents as a safer route to school and for recreational purposes. I am pleased we have been listened to on this matter and finally this 106 agreement will deliver for local people. It’s about time our local area gets the investment it deserves and we will fight for more.”
Councillor Sylvia Dymond added: “Many residents have been calling for an improvement to the footpath, including those that have moved onto the new estate. Local people have endured two years of problems with fencing, building work and a muddy overgrown footpath so this news is well received. At last we have a safer route for everyone to reach the local school, shops and to just enjoy a walk.”
Have you heard about the Kidsgrove Community Garden Scheme? Are you struggling to maintain your garden? Do you need help with cutting your lawns? If the answer is yes then you may benefit from a new scheme for the elderly and disable people of Kidsgrove, providing low cost, basic gardening. All the work is carried out by volunteers and does not aim to compete with established gardening businesses.
To qualify you need to live in one of the five wards of Kidsgrove, own or privately rent your property and have no on to do your gardening for you.
Many elderly people are targeted by bogus callers due to the overgrown state of their gardens. The aim of the scheme is to try and deter bogus callers and to encourage independent living.
Organiser and Father Hudson representative, Matt Ford said:
“This scheme will ensure that the elderly and disabled in the community can get access to a gardening scheme at very little cost. All our volunteers are vetted before they can start to work at any property. We are trying to ensure that people can recognise our Community Garden Scheme and feel safe enough to accept our help. We are a not for profit organisation just trying to do our bit for Kidsgrove. We would like to thank Rich Evans and Kidsgrove Tesco for donating lawn mowers to our cause.”
The scheme has received wide public support and the backing of local Councillors. Butt Lane Councillor, Kyle Robinson said:
“I completely support Matthew Ford and the Father Hudson society for putting together a well needed service. Government cuts have led to the loss of the local handyman service that many elderly and vulnerable people relied on. I also think it’s great that the service isn’t just for people on benefits as far too often this cancels people out. The need is out there and I regularly come across residents needing all kinds of support in their home. I have now set up a system with Matt so that I can refer people in my ward to access the service efficiently. This scheme will be a huge success and I was pleased to support it from the start. It shows what can be achieved when communities pull together.”
If you would like more information or help with your garden please contact Matthew Ford, Father Hudson’s Society Development Officer on: 07587034299.
Councillors have launched a new Locality Action Partnership campaign to tackle dog fouling in the Butt Lane and Clough Hall area. Dog mess is an eyesore and a health hazard and your Councillors are taking tough action.
Town Councillor Sylvia Dymond said: “I am a dog owner and I always pick up after my pets. The problem of dog fouling has increased dramatically in recent years, but it is now time for some action. I am throwing all my support behind this local campaign, ‘Don’t be mucky, clean it up ducky’. We have posters and stickers available to deter people from allowing their pets to foul outside your home or on the pavements in the area. Please contact us for more information.”
Kyle said: “Since becoming Chair of Public Protection I have pushed for more enforcement on those that refuse to pick up after their dogs. It is a crime and I urge the public to report the culprits to Newcastle Borough Council on 01782 717717. We have a hard line approach on this matter at the Council and we regularly prosecute offenders. Some fines have reached up to £1000. It is important to recognise that the majority of dog owners are sensible and do the right thing.”